Wedding planning and prepping can be overwhelming, and having gone through the process ourselves, we know that sometimes you wish you could cut through all the red tape and know the exact things to ask to get exactly the results you want. Here’s an obvious fact that’s often overlooked: wedding vendors have done tens, hundreds, possibly even thousands of weddings. Brides are typically planning their first wedding. Wedding vendors have a wealth of knowledge they want you to know! So today, we’re sharing some inside beauty tips– specifically for your hair and makeup trial!
Photo: L. Hewitt Photography
Hair and makeup are often two of the last things on any bride’s wedding planning list, but they are two of the most important. Looking your best will make you feel your best (ladies, you know what a good blowout can do to your Monday) and if there’s one day you want to feel your best, it’s your wedding day! Local beauty experts have weighed in, and here are the top 5 inside tips they want to share about your hair and makeup trial:
- Always get hair AND makeup done. It’s like peanut butter & jelly, mac & cheese, grilled cheese and tomato soup (or maybe I’m hungry?); getting both hair and makeup done for your wedding day is worth it, trust us. You don’t want one part to look fabulous and the other looking so-so. It’s one less thing to stress about on your big day, and who doesn’t deserve to be pampered?
- Get what you like and want. So much is done on the wedding day for the approval of family, but when it comes to your appearance, you know what you like best and what you don’t. Be confident enough to give honest feedback to your artists on what you like and don’t like to get the look just right.
- Don’t bring your entire entourage to your trial and please– don’t bring your mother. Building on the point above, it’s just about impossible to get what you like and want with too many people’s opinions in your ear. And even though it’s hard to hear, it’s really best not to have your mom there. You could be absolutely best friends with her, but we’ve seen even the nicest, best, most well-meaning moms ruin the trial. Take pictures, and send them to her afterwards!
- Come prepared and have ideas. If you’re getting a veil or hairpiece, make sure to have them BEFORE your trial. When deciding your hairstyle and makeup, having a few ideas of what you like will really help your hair artists create your perfect look. If there are no specific styles or looks you’re really drawn to for a start point, then pick out a few that you DON’T like. This will help as well!
- TRUST your beauty artists’ advice. Ladies, if you’re only used to wearing chapstick and a bit of mascara, having makeup professionally done is going to look a lot different – but in a good way! EMBRACE a bolder, slightly more done-up look, even if to just try it out at the trial. If your hair and makeup artists honestly let you know that you look amazing, and that the look isn’t too dramatic, give it a day and let others give their feedback (now text your mom the pictures). In fact, book a daytime trial if possible– this allows you to not only test the integrity of the updo and the longevity of the makeup, but also to get feedback from friends and family all day and into the evening.
If you’re still looking for a hair and makeup team for your wedding, check out our Vendor Guide! Happy planning!