From the Editor: Planning your wedding may also include planning your honeymoon, so let’s take a break from the snow and daydream of somewhere tropical! Our guest blogger Mackenzie Melfa, travel agent and travel blogger at Destination Designer, is here to take you to the beautiful country of Belize.
There are very few places in this world where a couple can snorkel in crystal clear water, explore Mayan ruins, rent a private island, and also zip line through a jungle. Welcome to Belize, a tiny country south of the Caribbean, and just east of Mexico. It’s a quick 2 hour flight from Miami and US citizens do not need a Visa to visit!
So what makes Belize so appealing to Honeymooners?
- Language: English is widely spoken throughout the country. Although Spanish is also spoken in Belize, you’ll always be able to speak with a local. This fact makes it easy to get around and understand what is happening around you in Belize.
- Ambergris Caye: This beautiful island is just a 15 minute flight from Belize City and home to some of the best hotels, resorts and restaurants in Belize. It’s only 1 mile wide, but 25 miles long. You won’t find a lot of cars here, most people walk, bike or drive a golf cart. This island is full of Expat’s from Canada and the US (including my Aunt and Uncle who fell in love with this island years ago and now own an incredible bar down there!) You’ll feel right at home along these free spirited island dwellers.
Snorkeling: Belize is home to the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world! This reef is home to countless fish, sea turtles and friendly nurse sharks. When visiting you must go snorkeling out by the reef!
- Diving: The Great Blue Hole … if you are an avid diver and you haven’t heard of this place please look it up immediately! This 407’ deep hole was declared 1 of the top 10 diving sites in the world by Jacques-Yves Cousteau.
Mayan Ruins: The Mayan’s left the most incredible structures which dot the Belizean landscape. You can take day trips to see these impressive ruins. They are an amazing testament to how advanced this ancient cultures architecture really was.
- Laid Back Culture: A Belikin Beer in one hand, your new spouse holding your other hand while you sit on a dock and soak up some sun. Can’t you just picture it!? The town of San Pedro, located on Ambergris Caye is home to some very welcoming beach bars. Flip flops, shorts and sundresses are the common attire.
- Resorts: If you are looking for a secluded romantic escape from it all then head north on Ambergris Caye to one of many incredible resorts. Here you can lay on white sand beaches, kayak out to private islands and enjoy a drink by the pool.
Jungle: If the lounging in the sun isn’t your thing just look inland for the perfect option! Belize is 50% jungle/rainforest. Stay at one of many luxurious jungle resorts and spend your days exploring stunning waterfalls, looking for exotic birds, and touring the Mayan Ruins.
- Waterfalls: If hiking is your thing then bring a backpack, a bathing suit and sturdy shoes. There are tons of waterfalls to hike to on the mainland like the impressive Hidden Valley Falls which falls 1,600 feet!
- Caves: If you are feeling adventurous join a group to go cave tubing. It’s exactly what it sounds like … tubing down a stream in a dark cave with amazing stalactites hanging above you. It’s a total adrenaline rush and you’ll see some amazing natural formations.
It’s not hard to imagine why Belize is becoming such a popular destination for couples who are looking to make unforgettable memories with each other!