Today we’re excited to bring you the first installment of our new series on vacation destinations! We’ll be featuring locations that are ideal honeymoon locales and places you and your sweetie can get away for the weekend.
First up: Niagara Falls! Both Serena and I love the Niagara region and both have ties to the area. I actually grew up in the Buffalo/Niagara area and attended Niagara University, and Serena’s husband Chad is from the Buffalo area as well. So whether visiting family or on a getaway, we both have been to Niagara Falls many times and bring this recommendation from personal experience!
If you’re thinking about vacationing or honeymooning in the Niagara region, here’s a few great recommendations:
- First, make sure to take the time to check out what both sides of the border have to offer: Niagara Falls, USA and Niagara Falls, Canada. There are a few attractions you can take advantage of on both sides (Maid of The Mist, Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours, and various observation decks) but there are a few things that are specific to each side.
- On the American side, make sure to check out the Cave of the Winds. This attraction brings you up close and personal to the falls. After an elevator brings you down underneath the ground, you’ll walk down a large tunnel and emerge at the base of the falls, with a multitude of decks to walk along and see the American falls up close! Just a fair warning though: the flimsy poncho they give you doesn’t do a thing. You WILL get soaked from head to toe. So either go on a hot day or bring a change of clothes!
- If you’re wine lover like myself, make sure to check out a winery or two along the Niagara Wine Trail. And if you’ve never had it: make sure to try Ice Wine!
- On the Canadian side, make time for a ride up and dinner atop the Skylon Tower. This is absolutely one of the best views you’ll see of the falls!
- Also on the Canadian side is the exciting area known as Clifton Hill. This one very windy, steep street is bursting at the seems with things to do, including a Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, a Rainforest Cafe, and a try-if-you-dare haunted house.
All photos included in today’s post were taken by Serena and I on our iPhones, from recent trips to Niagara Falls!
Have you been to the Niagara region and have other suggestions to add? Or do you have another location to suggest to be spotlighted in our destination series? Let us know in the comments!